Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Tree of Life Review

http://www.flix66.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tree-of-Life-Poster.jpg
When it comes to films that are truly like no other and go a route that filmmakers could be inspired by but not follow, those would be films by Terrence Malick. Here's a film that tells a simple story, but tries to tell another story as well using the simple story. The other story though is what you have to make of it instead of trying to depend on Terrence Malick to try and tell that other story for you. To some audiences that would be a problem, but for me it's a terrific feeling since I have a huge appreciation for cinema that much. 

What I can say about the simple story is that it involves a family of five: a father, a mother and three sons. One of those sons is named Jack, and we see a view of Jack's young childhood set in a small Texas town in the 1950s. We also see a glimpse of his current life set in the present where he is surrounded by city buildings and modern art structure (which I must say is fun to view multiple times in my opinion). I'm sure you're wondering where the simple story comes in, but no that's it. It's just the point of view of a guy named Jack on how he was raised and what his reactions were to his life situations. Is that all there is? Maybe for the simple story, but Terrence Malick always likes to put in that one extra layer in his films. You just never know what it is though, that's the fun of it. I did say that the film tries to tell another story, but that's what I believe what the extra layer is. It may not be what Malick's was.

When you look at the title "The Tree of Life", you may wonder what it means or already have an idea what its meaning is. Most of the beginning shows aspects of life creation before it gets to Jack's childhood telling. It features shots of planets being created, dinosaurs and evolution. The thing I do know what Malick is trying to tell is "What do you get out of it? What do you think it means?". I thought it had meaning, but it's meaning that doesn't need to be explained scientifically or posted on a blog or forum. It's more personal that can remain in my head or that I can say to a family member or a close friend. 

If you're confused by my review, then you may be confused by the movie. It's okay if you are because this film may not be made for everybody, but it's still worth seeing just to see if you get anything out of it. In simple terms, the film is well made. It never addresses things clearly, but the cinematography is flawless and the performances are reaching. I'm not saying to everyone to go see this film, but check it out if you want something to find meaning to or to judge the look of the film.

***1/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment